Dear CLC Members,
The Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) Young Workers Program and United Way Centraide Canada (UWCC) are pleased to present the second annual CLC/UWCC Post-Secondary Scholarship.
The CLC and the UWCC are long-time partners in taking action to create prosperous, inclusive, diverse and respectful communities, safer workplaces, and a fairer Canada for working people. We recognize that post-secondary education provides important opportunities for young people but is out of reach for many working class people due to ever-increasing tuition fees.
Young workers today are facing many social and workplace issues. However, many have taken these challenges as an opportunity to create positive change, and impact their communities for the better. This scholarship is offered in recognition of the efforts and commitment of young workers across Canada who have demonstrated commitment to positively impacting social and workplace issues in their community.
We are pleased to offer a scholarship in the amount of $2,500 to support a young activist who is starting their first year of full-time post-secondary study in September 2018.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Current union member, or the child/dependent of a union member, that is affiliated to the CLC;
- Age 30 or under as of September 1st, 2018;
- Enrolled for September 2018 to enter their first year of full-time study at a Canadian public post-secondary institution: university program (leading to a degree) or college program (leading to a diploma or certificate);
- Does not have any prior post-secondary studies; and
- Currently enrolled or not more than two years out of secondary school.
Applicants will be required to submit:
- A personal information application;
- A brief resume outlining non-academic interests and activities as well as goals for the future;
- Proof of acceptance/statement of intention to study at a Canadian, public post-secondary education institute; and
- An essay that demonstrates labour/community involvement and on the topic outlined in the application form.
The deadline for receipt of applications is Friday, June 1, 2018. An Application form is attached and can be found online at www.canadianlabour.ca/scholarship. This year’s winner will be announced on June 29, 2018.
The CLC is the largest labour organization in Canada, bringing together dozens of national and international unions, provincial and territorial federations of labour and community-based labour councils to represent 3.3 million workers.
United Way Centraide is a federated network of local United Way and Centraide offices serving over 5000 Canadian communities. Each work to locally raise funds and invest in improving lives in its community. UWCC is the national office and provides leadership, guidance and support to our federation.
The CLC and UWCC are committed to social justice and equity and we encourage women, people of colour, Aboriginal people, LGBTQ2SI people, people with disabilities and those from other equity seeking backgrounds to apply for this scholarship.