What a year it’s been for SEIU-West members!
As in any year, there are good moments and not so good moments, but overall our members are among the most active and unique in Saskatchewan.
So we’re taking this opportunity to do a month by month 2011 year in review.
- Our members braved the cold in Swift Current to deliver their message to Premier Brad Wall in Swift Current (picture).
- We joined the community of Wakaw and surrounding area in their fight to save their hospital.
- Two (2) sessions of Shop Steward Training Level 1 in Saskatoon.
- SEIU-West’s Watch Dog blog launched exposing the truth in workplaces across Saskatchewan. The blog is still live and will continue. If you have a story to share, please send it to us through the contact us form or through the blog itself.
- Shop Steward Level 2 training was held across the province.
- The new and improved www.seiuwest.ca was launched. This new site allows users to share posts, participate in on-line campaigns and provide feedback to SEIU-West in a timely way.
- The Member Resource Centre (MRC) was officially launched in Saskatchewan – members can now call 1.888.999.7348 to ask general questions of their Union.
- SEIU-West holds it’s first EVER Member Political Training at Cedar Lodge.
- SEIU-West submits it’s recommendations to the WCB Committee of Review.
- Residents of Wakaw and surrounding area and members of SEIU-West took a bus trip to the Legislature in hopes that the government would meet with them about the closure of the Wakaw hospital.
- SEIU-West’s Founding Convention took place in Saskatoon – over 200 members, honoured guests, and staff took part in “Proud History Bright Future” which unveiled the new power-house Local in Saskatchewan.
- SEIU-West’s Response to the Questionnaire and Discussion Document Regarding Proposed Changes to The Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1993.
- Our Member Action Coordinator was out and about meeting with members and spreading the purple wave across as many units as possible.
- SEIU-West members who work in Community-Based Organizations came together to discuss common goals and go forward because they are stronger together.
- Billboards go up across the province inviting people to visit www.yourfairshare.ca
- Labour Day festivities across the province brought out our members in force! Like the Swift Current Labour Day Parade
- The second Member Political Organizer Training took place at Cedar Lodge and brought even more members together.
- SEIU-West submits recommendations to the OHS administrative review.
- Attendance Management/Duty to Accommodate Workshops start and are presented across the province in Saskatoon, Swift Current and Humboldt.
- Members got involved in Saskatchewan’s electoral process by running the “I’m a Health Care Voter” campaign across the province.
- Health Care Providers week was proclaimed.
- SEIU-West launches it’s first ever Walk-A-Day in My Shoes video featuring Steve Olson who works at Cheshire Homes.
- I’m a Health Care Voter sign campaign ramps up and gets noticed across the province in advance of the Provincial election.
- SFL Charter Challenge starts in Regina.
- Members across the province took part in SHEPP presentations so they could better understand their pension plan.
- Shop Steward training Level 1 held in Saskatoon where members are asked “What have Unions ever done for us?”.
- Health Care Workers Bargaining Conference was well attended. The Bargaining Committee now has a clearer picture of what the membership wants in the next round of negotiations with SAHO and Extendicare.